Thursday, June 11, 2009

Circuitry and Artficial Life

So yesterday I had a few thoughts on rolling my own circuit board for a cellphone.  There were quite a few useful sites on finding manufacturers for LCD screens and the like, but I'm not really sure on how to get things like an nVidia chip (just a chip with unsoldered pinouts), or an AMD subproc.  While I was digging around, I thought it would be neat to have a GSOM (Graphical Self-Organising Map), first to place the chips using heat-distribution rules (probably some complicated math/physics formula), and then treat electrons like ants.


The ants would have their own rules to follow:



  • Shortest path from 1 pin to another

  • Minimum distance from another ant's trail

  • Obey things like resonance, interference

  • Making "fuel stops" at capacitors, LEDs, so on

  • Possibly re-routing 3-dimensionally up to 8 layers


I've always wanted to have a program that writes programs, what about a program that makes hardware -- but intelligently.  Another factor is that there is debugging tools out there to run mockups of the circuitboard before going to fab, I just wonder if there was a way to interactively debug then let the GSOM program adjust and learn from it's mistakes.


Food for thought at least.


Powered by Qumana


Tags: , , , ,


No comments:

The Septembers

It's been a pretty stressful last few weeks.  I suppose I should vent a bit about it - I really hate when everything has to be walled aw...